The Goshen Theater
In 1905 the Jefferson Theater was opened. The residents of Goshen had been hoping for years to see a new theater in town. Early that year a site was chosen in the 200 block of South Main Street on a space of five lots that had stood empty for 20 years. A nationally known theater architect from Chicago was hired to design the facility, which would be constructed at a cost of $75,000 and would be called “The Jefferson” after Joseph Jefferson, a famous actor of the time who had recently died.
On November 5, 1905 the official dedication took place. The event was attended by Governor Frank Hanly and the Indiana Attorney General. Prominent citizens from all over Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana reserved seats. Tickets were highly sought-after and extremely hard to come by. The citizens of Goshen were so proud of their new theater that crowds of people, who had been unable to get seats, lined the streets just to watch people go in. At 7:30 PM the doors opened and 11 ushers escorted delighted ticket-holders into the lavish theater which featured green and ivory decor with gold leaf trim, red oak and mahogany. Governor Hanly gave the welcoming address from his box seat on the auditorium’s south side. The Goshen News-Times reported that in his speech, the Governor noted that ‘Indiana has many splendid cities, many splendid communities and many splendid buildings, but no city the size of Goshen has so splendid a playhouse.’
On December 18, 1906 tragedy struck the magnificent Jefferson Theater. A fire began when a clerk carried a candle to the basement of the Stiver and Smith Furniture Store on the retail level of the building. The Goshen fire department was called and firemen from Elkhart responded as well, arriving by railroad car to help battle the blaze. Despite their best efforts the flames eventually consumed the building. Seeing the smoke, people came from all over town to watch in horror as firemen worked to save the rest of the city block. The next day, shocked residents learned that the Jefferson had been completely destroyed. Out of the sadness and disbelief, however, grew a resolve to build a new Jefferson even better than the first.
On October 10, 1907 The Jefferson celebrated its return, opening to another packed crowd of dignitaries and featuring a performance by one of the top actresses and comediennes of the day, Marie Cahill. The Jefferson was off and running in what would be a rich era in its history. For the next several years top notch theatrical troupes made Goshen a stop on their way between New York and Chicago, treating locals to first-rate performances by some of the top actors and actresses of the time. During the off-season the Jefferson remained open, showing silent movies and hosting political and community events.
In the early 1920s plans were announced for a California company to come to Goshen to film a Hollywood movie. Local residents auditioned for roles in the movie, which was filmed in several outdoor locations around town, as well as on stage at The Jefferson in front of large crowds. The movie was first viewed by the public in September, 1925 and more than half of those who came hoping to see it were turned away.
In the late 1920s The Jefferson showed “Singing Fool” with Al Jolson, causing much excitement in town. The Jefferson was a popular venue for local movie fans who lined up to see Hollywood’s latest releases.
In 1948 the Jefferson was remodeled with new seats and a new, V-shaped marquee. When the theater name was to be installed on the marquee the manufacturer discovered that there was not enough room for all the letters. Therefore the theater was re-named “The Goshen Theater.” A popular draw to the theater during this time period was bank night, a weekly lottery which had originated during The Depression as a way to attract patrons. Crowds gathered around the theater, where inside the building a name was drawn and an usher would reveal the name of the winner to those gathered outside. The winner had five minutes to get to the theater and collect their prize, a sum of cash ranging from $50 to $500.
In the 1950s bank nights at The Goshen Theater were discontinued due to lack of interest. Television had emerged as a powerful competitor for local theaters, forcing some to close their doors as big-screen venues across the nation saw a dip in attendance. But The Goshen Theater was able to remain open for business, continuing to provide first-run movies for those who did decide to venture out of their living rooms for an evening on the town.
Goshen Theater Redevelopment Feasibility Study
Read the Goshen Theater Redevelopment Feasibility Study.
- Introdution (200k pdf file)
- Market Study (1.5mb pdf file)
- Community Survey (3mb pdf file)
- Demographics (2mb pdf file)
- Pro Forma (200k pdf file)
- Architectural (1mb pdf file)
- Mechanical (2.5mb pdf file)
- Audio Visual (300k pdf file)
- Electrical (1mb pdf file)
- Summary (1mb pdf file)
- Resources (1mb pdf file)